The revised program aims to develop practitioners and leaders who will strengthen Social Studies education.
The program aims to develop social studies education practitioners who can:
- Demonstrate a deep understanding of the theoretical and disciplinal foundations of social studies education;
- Design and develop theoretically grounded and research-based curricula and instructional materials for social studies programs;
- Organize and implement relevant, interdisciplinary, and coherent social studies programs;and
- Assess and evaluate processes and outcomes of social studies education using a variety of tools and approaches.
- Applicants should have a Bachelor’s degree from a recognized tertiary or higher education institution.
- All students are admitted to the Diploma program. Students interested in proceeding to the MA program should complete all courses for the Diploma program with a GWA of 2.0 or better.
The Diploma program consists of 21 units of course work, as follows:
|SSE 201||Foundations of Social Studies||3 units|
|SSE 202||The Study of History and Geography||3 units|
|SSE 203||The Study of Culture and Society||3 units|
|SSE 204||The Study of Political and Economic Systems||3 units|
|SSE 205||Instructional Planning ang Procedures in Social Studies||3 units|
|SSE 206||Assessment Methods and Materials Development in Social Studies||3 units|
|(3 units) to be chosen from the following|
|IS 261||Contemporary International Issues and Trends||3 units|
|EDUC 280||Practicum in Teaching||3 units|