The Diploma in Mathematics Teaching (DMT) program aims to upgrade the mathematics and pedagogical competencies of mathematics teachers in the secondary schools, as well as those engaged in the mathematics curriculum and materials development.
The program aims to:
- Provide students with knowledge that will enable them to teach mathematics competently;
- Help students develop and/or improve their skills in mathematics teaching; and
- Help students appreciate the cultural significance of mathematics and its relation to social conditions.
Mode of Instruction
All courses are delivered by Distance Education mode.
Who is this course for?
- Basic education teachers who wish to undertake further studies and upgrade themselves.
- Applicants should have a baccalaureate degree and preferably be teaching science in the secondary level.
The program consists of 24 units of required course work which can be completed in two years or four semesters.
|EDMT 201||Mathematics Education
Principles, theories, and methods of mathematics education
|EDMT 202||Computation Mathematics for Teachers
Numerical computations and their analyses and interpretations
|EDMT 203||Higher Algebra for Teachers
Quadratic functions, graphs, and properties; theory of equations; combinatorics; the binomial theorem and its applications; strategies for teaching higher algebra
|EDMT 204||Set Theory for Teachers
Propositions and rules of inference; set and set operations; cross product and the Cartesian coordinate system; relations and functions; cardinal and ordinal numbers; ordering strategies in teaching sets
|EDMT 205||Geometry for Teachers
Geometry of the plane and space intuition, construction abstraction, deduction and axiomatization
|EDMT 206||Calculus for Teachers
Limits and continuity; derivatives and integrals of algebraic and transcendental functions of at least one variable and their applications
|EDMT 207||Number Theory and Algebra for Teachers
Number systems; divisibility; congruencies; geometric transformation; abstract mathematical structure; strategies for teaching elementary concepts in number theory and abstract algebra
|EDMT 208||Mathematics, Technology, and Society
The role of mathematics in the development of science and technology and its impact on society